It's officially fall and you know what that means... SOUP SEASON!! Soup can be a super healthy and filling meal, but not all soups are created equal. Many recipes tend to use creams, milk, cheese and other ingredients that can make those calories add up quickly! Cream of Broccoli being one of those! So if you're a creamy soup kind of guy or gal, we have something for you!
CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP
MAKES 8 SERVINGS.
• 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter or ghee
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 stalk celery, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or parsley
• 8 cups chopped broccoli (stems and florets)
• 2 cups water
• 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth (vegan)
• ó teaspoon salt
• Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
1. Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the butter melts. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme (or parsley); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
2. Stir in broccoli. Add water and broth; bring to a lively simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until very tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
4. Season to your liking.
This makes for a great side dish or vegetable option to accompany your lunch or dinner meal!
• Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.